Thursday, February 01, 2007

Jabulani - then and now



In 1997 while working at the SABC I was called up one day by the minining company up at Phalaborwa (Northern South Africa). They had found a very young elephant stuck in some sludge up at the mine and wanted to know if we knew anyone who could help because they didn't want to shoot it, but at that point it seemed they had no choice.


I called Lente Roode. She was/is this amazing woman who runs the Centre for Endangered Species in Hoedspruit. I had barely finished telling her the story when she got on a plane and flew up to Phalaborwa. Her crew following in a truck.


Now Lente Roode was a conservationist and her husband was a hunter. They kind of balanced each other out and with one of the most exclusive safari businesses in the country, they could afford to fly across country to pick up an elephant.




Jabulani (to rejoice) was taken back to Hoedspruit where Lente nursed him back to health using the same techniques she'd used on orphand rhinos.




Anyway I went out to Hoedspuit a month later and met the little guy who was only three months old at that stage.




Today... Well he is 9 years old now and a big boy. He also has his own "camp" called Camp Jabulani which allows tourists to live in a very exclusive resort and interact with the animals around them. He also has about 11 new "friends" - elephants that Lente has rescued from Zimbabwe and of course this "little" guy knows he runs the show.




Anyway, I just wanted to share that story with you because it's rare in my life that I find conclusion to anything I've ever worked on. I do the story and that's the end of that. I never hear from people again and certainly do not get and update 9 years later....



I wonder if he will remember me?

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning to you Tazz,

How wonderful to see your message on Jabulani.

My name is Michelle, and I handle marketing for Camp Jabulani - the luxury camp you speak of which was conceptualised to support the 12 elephants which, by the hand of fate, found their way to Lente Roode.

Jabulani is indeed much much bigger today. He remains a jubilant and fascinating creature - full of entertainment, personality and warm feeling for his human and elephant counterparts. He leads the "pack" on all elephant excursions, relishing in his role as the camp's namesake.

If you would like to have a look at more udpated images, visit our website on www.campjabulani.com. We have also had the opportunity of welcoming a new baby elephant - Limpopo-Kamali - in August last year. She is a delight and is proof that these huge creatures are thriving in their environment at Camp Jabulani.

Please keep in touch with us.

Wishing you a superb day ahead,

With kind regards

Michelle
michelle@campjabulani.com

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Tricia said...

Michelle
Thank you for your update. I will go and have a look at see how that little man has grown.
I have attached another image to this website - my cameraman Llewellyn Carstens with the 4-month old Jabulani. Thought you might like for your records. He was a TV star from a young age and loved the camera.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home